Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Pendulum

Today over breakfast, my son happily informed me, "I don't want to miss the bus this morning. I love riding the bus, even more than car rider." This statement might not seem abnormal to you, if you didn't know that since the beginning of the school year, getting my son to ride the school bus has been an ugly, ongoing battle that has even been played out several times on our driveway. (And I am proud to say there have been no casualties... if you don't count my blood pressure). 
My inability to drive my son to school has been the ultimate injustice in his mind, as he just wants to spend more time with me. Cue the guilt. Lately, he has ridden the bus with no complaint, but this morning's statement was a major breakthrough. And then I realized the pendulum had swung a little too far in the other direction when in his morning prayers he prayed, "Help me to not want to come home."

All I can do is join Garth Brooks in saying, "Sometimes God's greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers."

No comments:

Post a Comment