Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Lettero

Dear Dora, Diego, Handy Manny, Maya & Miguel, etc.,
I am writing this letter to inform you that your efforts to teach my son Spanish by interjecting random Spanish words/phrases/expressions into your English dialogue is not working. In the past 4 years, I have never once heard my son use a Spanish word as a result of viewing your program. (Which isn't really surprising when you consider that most people can't remember a lick of Spanish after studying the language for 2 years in high school). I'm not sure why you are trying to teach my son Spanish, but I find your methods questionable. To be honest, I think the language you are teaching would be more accurately described as "Spanglish".
Until your program includes an exchange program allowing children total immersion in the language and culture of Latin America or Spain, including classes on navigation/orienteering or home improvement (in Spanish), I just don't think you will have any success. Lo siento.
Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment