Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Past & Rose Colored Glasses

 About 6 months ago, I watched the movie "Midnight In Paris", and it became an instant favorite (my memory fails me as to whether there is strong language, so view at your own risk). It is not a laugh out loud kind of movie, but the humor is really subtle and enjoyable. I especially love its message- when we pine for simpler or "better" times in the past, we forget that the past is not as rosy and devoid of problems as we imagine it to be. Each era has its pros and cons, and we need to embrace our life now. You might say, "it's funny but it also makes you think."
As things feel like they are getting crazier and crazier, I thought this quote by Howard W. Hunter was relevant and comforting to what I've been feeling: 

"I am here tonight to tell you that despair, doom, and discouragement are not an acceptable view of life for a Latter-day Saint. However high on the charts they are on the hit parade of contemporary news, we must not walk on our lower lip every time a few difficult moments happen to confront us...
"Knowing what we know, and living as we are supposed to live, we really have no place, no excuse, for pessimism and despair.
"In my lifetime I have seen two world wars. ...I have worked my way through the Depression and managed to go to law school while starting a young family at the same time. I have seen stock markets and world economics go crazy, and I have seen a few despots and tyrants go crazy, all of which causes quite a bit of trouble around the world in the process.
"So I am frank to say tonight I hope you won't believe all the world's difficulties have been wedged into your decade, or that things have never been worse than they are for you personally, or that they will never get better. I reassure you that things have been worse and they will always get better. They always do—especially when we live and love the gospel of Jesus Christ and give it a chance to flourish in our lives. "

Nothing like some no nonsense, sound advice from an older and wiser man.

It's interesting to note, that even a Book of Mormon prophet (around 23-20 B.C.) found himself wishing for a happier time (Helaman 7:6-9). It is a sentiment that probably spans the history of man.

** Here is a link to the speech by Howard W. Hunter that the above quote came from, "An Anchor to the Souls of Men". It's definitely worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment