These three words can strike fear in the heart of any within hearing distance... or at least those involved with said toddler. When those three words are spoken, I know 3 things:
- My daughter has had a sudden stroke of independence,
- A task that normally takes 30 seconds will now take 7 minutes.
- Any form of "help" (even the smallest gesture) will result in my daughter protesting, undoing what I did, and doing it herself from the beginning- increasing a 7 minute process to 15 minutes. Crying can commonly accompany this process.
- Choose my battle- If we have all the time in the world, I can indulge my daughter in her desire to learn to be independent.
- Bribe/Reward- If we are short on time, this will sometimes speed up the process.
- Rasslin' Time- If option 1 & 2 are not working or not an option, it can get ugly. She is surprisingly strong and determined for such a little thing.
- Curl up in the fetal position until the moment has passed- If options 1,2, 3 have failed, this is the only choice left. I have not yet made it to this level, but I have been close.