Monday, August 26, 2013

The Math War

School is back. My son's homework on his first day of school? A discussion with us about how we use math in everyday life. This was a hard topic for me to discuss, as I consider math a foe more than a friend... an animosity that dates back to my middle and high school days. But, I swallowed my pride and admitted that I used it when I sewed, and cooked, grocery shopped, and scheduled my day- and I think I even successfully hid my scowl and acted positive about it. 

I did not inform my son that in a few short years he would take math courses that have no relevance to everyday life except to be able to pass tests and that it would be a bur in his pants every night during homework and I have the picture my parents took of me solemnly laboring over my math homework to prove it. But then, some things in life are meant to discover on your own.

Unless he's one of those people who actually likes math. In which case, that would be my ultimate triumph over math.

No comments:

Post a Comment