Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Opportunity

Master of human desires am I.
Fame, love, and fortune on my footsteps wait,
Cities and fields I walk; I penetrate
Deserts and seas remote, and, passing by
Hovel, and mart, and palace, soon or late
I knock unbidden, once at every gate!
If sleeping, wake- if feasting, rise before
I turn away. It is the hour of fate,
And they who follow me reach every state
Mortals desire, and conquer every foe
Save death; but those who doubt or hesitate,
Condemned to failure, penury and woe,
Seek me in vain and uselessly implore-
I answer not, and I return no more.

- John James Ingalls

 And here are two other quotes I like about opportunity (something I always hope I have the wisdom to recognize and the courage to follow):

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." 
-Thomas A. Edison

"Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor"
- Stephen Sondheim, "Into the Woods" 

No comments:

Post a Comment