Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Finding A Voice (that's not calling for time-out...)

As a stay-at-home mom, I am pretty much the law in our home for most of the day. I believe I am doing the most important work I can be doing at this time. I hope that my example and teachings will influence my child to be a productive and influential citizen in the future. But, over the last month or so I have pondered over how I can influence our country's future while running our home. What can I do right now that does not distract from my responsibilities to my family (and does not require a law degree)? Perhaps I have discounted or forgotten the power I have as a regular citizen. I can:

1. Vote. Vote. Vote. Not voting is still making a choice.
2. Write and call my Congressman and Senators. Even if your candidate of choice was not elected, you don't have to sit it out until next election. You have a voice in your state representatives. In theory, they keep in touch with the desires of the people and vote for or against laws accordingly. Both are elected directly by the people, so if they want a chance at reelection, they want to keep us happy. If you don't know who your reps are, find them here: www.house.gov or www.senate.gov. Let them know what you think about socialized medicine or other issues that are important to you (you still have chance to contact your Senators concerning cap & trade).

While these measures seem small, they are very important. We are blessed to have these available to us. If you have time to vote for (insert favorite reality show here) you have time to vote or make your voice heard concerning things that actually affect your life.

What are other ways we can influence our country while managing our lives?

1 comment:

  1. I think your views are helpful. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete