Monday, April 12, 2010

Money For Nothing

Over the last few months, my son has begun to understand the concept of earning money to buy things he wants. Unfortunately, he is not saving for penny candy. He only wants Legos. This means that at his current salary, it takes months to earn enough money to buy what he wants. As you can imagine, for a young boy this is an almost intolerable amount of time to wait. The other morning, we had an enlightening conversation about how he was going to speed up the process, and I found myself teaching him a lesson I didn't expect to at such a young age:

My Son: "Mom, today I'm going to make all the money I need to buy the Legos I want!"
Me: "The set you want is $15. It's going to take a lot longer than one day to earn what you need."
My Son: (undiscouraged) "Yeah, but I'm going to make money and buy it tonight."
Me: "Honey, I'm sorry but you just won't be able to earn everything today. It's going to take a lot of hard work and waiting."
My Son: (excitedly)"No. I'm going to get some markers and paper and make all the money I need. Then I can buy it."
Me: "Honey... that's illegal."


No comments:

Post a Comment