Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Peace, Be Still

I have been reluctant to write about the devastation in Japan, because natural disasters like that, and the tragedy that ensues, is hard to wrap my mind around- cities destroyed, families ripped apart, suffering, the terror and panic that must accompany it all. I tend to personalize the stories that I read about, and that does me no good. That being said, it seems pretty insensitive to ignore it all together, and write about underwear instead...
Over and over, I keep thinking the the only person who can make sense of any of this, or heal what seems impossible to heal, is our Savior. Events of this magnitude always remind me of that. So, I thought I'd share some quotes from a speech by Merrill J. Bateman, that provided peace to me at another time when I felt shaken:

"Even though we live in troubled times- and prophets have indicated that there will be turmoil in the last days- it is possible for each of us to feel peace, to have the peace of the gospel in our lives. We believe that is the most important message we have for the world."

"At the Last Supper, after finishing the meal, the Savior and his disciples sang the Hallel. The words of the Hallel are from Psalms 113 to 118..."
"So, at the Last Supper with His eleven disciples- Judas having left and Jesus knowing where he was going- Jesus is then singing about His own death.
"In that setting He went on to talk to His disciples about the most precious gift He had to give them. That gift was the gift of the Holy Ghost..."
"He knows where he is going, and there is peace in His heart. He knows He is going to the garden, and He is going to the cross. He is telling them He is leaving them His peace.
"'Peace I leave unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.' (John 14:27)" 

No comments:

Post a Comment