Monday, April 14, 2014

Playing 'Possum

The other day I was digging in a planter and unearthed a millipede. He scrambled around and then rolled up into a pitiful ball and lay still. A few minutes later he wriggled to life and went about his business as if nothing had happened. I smiled at such a pathetic response and superiorly thought, "How silly to play dead at the slightest disturbance. Humans meet their challenges head on." 

But then I wondered if playing dead until the coast is clear is a tactic that might have some value, and if it could be worth experimenting with in my own life: I get pulled over for speeding. Play dead. I'm asked to play the piano at church last minute. Play dead. The weekend has left me with a mountain of laundry to do. Play dead. My child remembers they have a huge school project due the next day. Play dead. I have unannounced company and the house is a wreck. Play dead. My kids ask me what's for dinner. Play dead. The possibilities are endless!

Ultimately, I decided it would not be well received. Too bad.

Speaking of playing 'possum, here is one of my favorite commercials.

Geico commercial - Pet Possum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvVCHzJQXic


No comments:

Post a Comment