Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Callings & Inadequacy

A few days ago I was wondering whether Apostles ever feel inadequate in their callings. While they are no doubt spiritually strong, the scope of their responsibility is so large I can't even fathom it! Amazingly, I found the answer in a booklet that my sister-in-law received in church for Mother's Day. Not only did it answer my question, but it also taught what to do with those feelings:

"A few months after my calling as an Apostle, I spoke to one of the senior members of the Quorum of the Twelve about how inadequate I felt for the calling I had received. He responded with this mild reproof and challenging insight: 'I suppose your feelings are understandable. But you should work for a condition where you will not be preoccupied with yourself and your own feelings of inadequacy and can give your entire concern to others and to the work of the Lord in all the world.'
"That is good advice when any one of us is called to a new position. Our understandable feelings of inadequacy should be put aside quickly. Our preoccupation should be to do all that we can to prepare ourselves and to serve wherever we are called."

-Dallin H. Oaks
"Trust in His Promises: A Message for Women", Dallin H. Oaks and Kristen M. Oaks

No comments:

Post a Comment