Thursday, September 17, 2009

Parenting Resource

If you are looking for a down-to-earth, common sense resource on parenting and discipline, I highly recommend "John Rosemond's Six-Point Plan For Raising Happy, Healthy Children".

Here's an excerpt from his introduction that kind of gives you a taste of where he's coming from:

"Over the last forty years or so, we've taken the very practical and commonsensical job of raising children, dressed it in fancy language, and turned it into something very abstract and, therefore, difficult. What the 'experts' haven't romanticized, sentimentalized, and idealized, they've scrutinized and analyzed to such an extent that we are no longer able to see the forest for all the obsessing we do over the trees.
"In the process, childrearing- or parenting, as it's now called- has been transformed into a pseudo-intellectual 'science,' something people think they must strain their brains at in order to do properly. But parenting is anything but an intellectual endeavor.
"... Parents who think too much tend to say things like, 'Raising a child is the hardest think I've ever done.' I understand. I used to feel that way myself. Then I stopped thinking so much about it, stopped obsessing over all the little details, stopped worrying about whether one wrong decision was going to ruin my children for life, and started paying at least as much attention to my own needs and the needs of my marriage as I did to my kids. That's when raising children became relatively easy and enjoyable."

I better stop there, or I might just transcribe the whole book for you!
Anyway, if you're in the neighborhood for a good parenting book, check this one out (like all books, you take what works for you and leave the rest).
I especially like that his first point is to give more attention to your marriage than to your children.

2 comments:

  1. I just requested this from the library. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah-
    I hope it serves you well.

    ReplyDelete