I had only been to New York once prior in high school, and it was interesting to rediscover the city during a different season of my life. For example, I learned:
- It is impossible to not look like a tourist, no matter how hard you try.
- New York City is a fun place for your budding reader to practice his new skills. For example, my son was able to sound out and read, "Sex and the City" all by himself! (Luckily, he has not asked questions).
- It is not unheard of to hear the ice cream man's truck at 9:30 at night- though what he is vending at that hour is unknown.
- Playing "I Spy" is a fun way to pass the time while waiting for the subway to come. You'd be amazed at the variety of objects hiding in the tracks!
- When bathrooms are hard to find, your standards of cleanliness take a huge dive.