Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Quotes: Elder and Sister Holland

As promised, here are some quotes from the radio interview of Elder and Sister Holland that I really liked:

Sister Holland
"I just think at the heart of a woman's soul is that need to nurture and care for her children. She may not realize it at the time those babies are little when it's hard- they cry, it's demanding, 'How did I get into this?', 'How can I get out of it?' But, when you get to be my age you realize that's where you really needed to spend [your time]." 

Elder Holland
"We lived through the days when the Black Panthers and the Chicago Seven and, you know, when we thought the [Yale] campus was going to be leveled. We lived through that. I sent Pat out to live with somebody at a great distance from New Haven, because we didn't know whether it was going to be burned to the ground. So this is kind of first hand experience. It's a little old now, but we lived it. It was a tumultuous time. I think people were seeking for values. We know all that history. We don't have to relive the 60's and the 70's. But that's what was happening. ...
"But I think, what I believe was wrong, again if it doesn't seem coming from the wrong source for a man to say it, maybe a woman should say it. But I think the model was wrong. What seemed to be the talk was, 'How do I get out of the home? How does a woman get out of the home?' So to speak, or maybe even out of marriage or out of whatever. When I think that model should have been turned 180 degrees and it should have been, 'What do we do to guarantee that men stay in the home? Or that men contribute in the home?' I'm all for shared work load- we can do the dishes together, and we can do the laundry together, and we can pay the bills together, and we can figure out what the income tax is together. But it seems to me, to just think of ways to get away from family and away from home was exactly diametrically opposite to the model we should have been pursuing. And that is, 'In such times how do you keep fighting to stay in the home, including a husband, including a father?' That he does not just blissfully walk out the door and take his little briefcase, and go off and never have another thought all day, or all week, or all month about the greatest responsibility that he has. And that is to be a husband, and a father, and a grandfather.
"Now I know that sounds like someone from the LDS church who might be an Apostle saying that. Well, so be it. I believed it then and I believe it now. I think all the forces that spin us centrifugally away from the home, we have to fight that and have those forces reversed as best we can, and have that circle coming back into the home for men and for women. And it takes work, and we can do a lot more together than we do, and it can be terrific." 

Elder Holland
"This is a contest in which the victory has already been won. We already know who wins. The irony is we're still trying to figure out which team we're going to play for. Which seems to me crazy! You play for the winner. You go with the team that wins. And the Savior has already won all of this. He's overcome the world. He's handled the problems. He is the light at the end of the tunnel. That's why you keep going. And he'll send angels when you're a little weak in the knees, and he'll answer your prayers every time, in every way. Maybe not the way you want, but they'll always be answered."


No comments:

Post a Comment