Friday, December 18, 2009

Design Friday: The Night Before Christmas

I wanted to highlight something seasonal today, so I bring to you "The Night Before Christmas", illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa.


Last year I was perusing through a bookstore's Christmas sale rack for books to add to our Christmas library, when I came across this book. The poem is a classic (and a must have for any library), and I was immediately drawn to the illustrations. The book was published in 2007 but the illustrations all have a very vintage and whimsical charm to them, reminiscent of Christmas cards from the 1940' and 1950's (I especially love the forest scene inside the front and back covers- her reindeer and trees are so delicate and graceful). The quality of illustrations mean a lot to me, and these have such an integrity to them, that it instantly feels like a family classic. (I was excited to learn that Gyo Fujikawa is actually a pretty well known illustrator, with many works to explore).

So, give it a look.... of course, you don't have to take my word for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment