Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Skim Truth

On a daily basis, I find that I have many opportunities to traumatize my son for life. For example, when my son says something like, "I wish I were a cow so I could make milk. Do you wish you were a cow and make milk?", there are many ways I could answer him. Oh, the power I hold!
I could answer his straightforward question with a "yes" or a "no". Or I could
take the opportunity to dash his pretend world with complete and brutal honesty. I could share with him the fact that, at one point, mommy did get to be like a cow (and can personally testify that it's overrated).

This time, I was merciful and dodged the opportunity to educate/traumatize my son about my experience as a cow. Partly because it wasn't the right time, but mostly out of self interest. I have learned that what goes around comes around, and that anything I tell my son has the very real possibility of being passed on to family, friends, or strangers (potentially when I'm not present to defend myself). As he was not asking a direct question, I didn't want to put myself at unnecessary risk to be embarrassed. Though, he doesn't always need facts to do that either... but that's a whole other story.

1 comment:

  1. You could always say the his uncle Mike might turn him into hamburger and steaks so he's better off not being a cow.

    ReplyDelete