Monday, August 31, 2009

Dr. Diary: Part Deux

My son has been interested in guns for some time now. I have not purchased a single toy firearm for the child, and yet everything has the potential to become such. Sticks, mugs, and K'nex are only a few of the items that he has used to "pack heat" around the house. I don't mind so much, but when I am ambushed and shot at point blank range for no apparent reason, I can't help but find it somewhat disturbing. Of course, his understanding of weapons is much different than mine, I get that, but still... I am his dear mother, not his enemy. How could he be so heartless in his dealings with me?
I mentioned in a previous post that I found a diary that I kept when I was 8 years old, and that it has given me renewed perspective of how my child might view me. Here is another favorite entry, dated July 18, that perhaps shines some light on the matter. In its entirety, it reads:


"Mom strikes again. To make our bed"


Perhaps I should design some kind of symbol that I could leave on his walls or toys to mark my dastardly presence each time I ask him to do something. Any suggestions as to what that symbol could look like?

1 comment:

  1. You definitely need a cool gangster logo that you can leave all over his stuff to let him know you mean business. I think an iron fist logo would be nice. Hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete